Thursday 3 March 2011

One sheet, many designs

Many people don't seem to enjoy paper engineering, and until yesterday I thought I was 'many people'. Well designed packaging has always been interesting, though I've never really had the patients to make any myself. This was until I spent a whole day making different little designs that actually worked. While making my little packages I couldn't help thinking of a lecturer who used to teach at university who is a keen paper engineer. I’ve always thought her works are interesting and clever, but never had the urge to make any myself; and I didn't understand how she had the patience to make so many. I realise now that when these paper creations work, it is easy to get carried away making them. I'm looking forward to experimenting with even more designs, applying them to larger sheets and adding printed designs to the paper.

These were all made by myself, but they are not my designs. They are templates from a book [Package From and Design] which I shall use as inspiration:


2 comments:

  1. I am one of these people too! I love packaging, but always wants to make my own and just don't. Maybe I should check out this book and get carried away too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get the book out of the library, it come with a disc that has all the templates on so you don't even have to draw it out yourself... something which I didn't actually realise until the second to last box :D

    ReplyDelete